New Security Threat: Remote Access Trojans, aka “Creepware” – (Please share this!) As if there weren’t enough potential security threats against your Mac or PC computer, a new spyware virus called, “creepware,” has emerged.
Why should you care about creepware? It literally gives hackers full remote access and control of your computer, without you knowing. It can quickly get installed when you download something online, or even from links on social media sites like Facebook. Here’s a video from Norton:
Pretty creepy, huh? While some attackers may want to get on your computer to steal your music and look through your photos, one common practice is to take over your built in web cam, and literally watch you remotely through your own computer!
You know that laptop that your daughter left on after doing her homework? With creepware, it’s as good as a window right into her bedroom for any number of creeps to look through. I’m sure most men wouldn’t want to be watched while they are online at night (doing important research of course) either. Yikes!
In a recent episode of Shark Tank, one of the inventions was a little plastic blocker that you can slide over your web cam, which is a good start. (I’m sure a post-it note would do as well) For more comprehensive protection, consider software from a top name in internet security like Norton or McAfee.
WHAT DOES CREEPWARE DO?
- Send abusive messages or spam from your computer
- Steal your passwords
- Open web pages, and spread the creepware / spyware to others
- Cause your computer to crash
HOW CAN YOU AVOID CREEPWARE?
- Use an updated date antivirus / internet security software
- Only download files from trusted sites
- Don’t use “torrent” file sharing sites, like those that allow you to download free music or movies
- Keep the shutter of your webcam covered if you aren’t using it, and beware of suspicious activity with your webcam
- Backup your files online with a service like Carbonite (get offer codes) (coupon available)
It’s a good idea to have a comprehensive, 360 degree solution to viruses and trojans for your computer and devices. Because these creepy threats are always evolving, so is the software to protect against them. That’s why you should always make sure your software is updated regularly. Need an incentive? We have the latest coupon codes for Norton software, including Antivirus and Norton 360 on our site!